Thursday, April 23, 2015

Garter snakes

Doing some yardwork today I came across 4 snakes in about a 100 sq ft area.   I had been raking and clearing out some dead leaves/grass/etc in preparation to start mowing that part of the yard.   I had left it long because I had no need for it.   Now that I'm expanding the woodpile, and now that I have the chickens, I didn't want that area to be "wild" and encourage chicken foraging.   They had been foraging madly in that section for a few days, I wonder how many snakes had already met their maker.

What I discovered, and it makes sense in retrospect, is that the snakes who had been living in the woodpile all summer had retreated to the long grass to burrow/hibernate for the winter.

I need to rethink the design of where the woodpile will go, so that I can provide shelter for  the snakes who patrol it for bugs and such.  This guy was pretty upset when I uncovered him.   He struck repeatedly.


No comments:

Post a Comment