Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Natural garden pest control

As the garden is under siege from leaf miners, potato beetles and slugs, and the apples are under attack from tent and gypsy moth caterpillars, I've decided to get into natural pest control methods.

Slugs were the most interesting.   They were doing a number on my strawberries, and last year devoured my cucumber seedlings in 1 night.   I read that you can leave a board on the ground, and they'll crawl under it.   Then you simply pick up the board and get rid of the slugs.   Since it takes > 1 day for a slug to grow, if you do this daily after a few days you've knocked down the lion's share of the slugs.   In dry weather I had no luck, only crickets seemed interested in hiding under the board.   After yesterday's rain, however, I went out and saw this on the bottom of the board:


I figured I'd let the circle of life complete, so I brought the board up to the chix.   Oddly, they weren't terribly interested.   But after I put some scratch on the board, they came racing over.


Later I went back up and almost all the slugs were gone, so I think they got the idea.

The apple trees are getting devoured by tent caterpillars, and today I saw them on the poplars as well.  So I busted out the Neem oil, mixed up a gallon and sprayed everything that I could reach.


I did the plants in the garden as well; eggplant, squash/zucchini, pumpkin, potatoes, hot peppers and strawberries.   I skipped the onions, garlic and carrots since they seemed immune.  So, I either killed the plants, or in a few days when the bugs eat the plants, they'll drop dead.   But, it's better than spraying poison.

I'm also going to put Tanglefoot on as a way to keep the trees safe from the caterpillars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment