Saturday, August 15, 2015

Late summer - Let the Canning begin!

The cherry tomatoes are going full speed these days, so I took 4 quarts of them and decided to save them as sauce.   Since I'm the only one eating it, I get to make it how I like.

All fresh from the garden this year, I'm doing:
yellow cherry tomatoes
a few red tomatoes that happened to be ripe

yellow squash
zucchini
red onion
basil
garlic
olive oil

The olive oil is the only thing I couldn't make myself.   Maybe when I finish the grape jelly in a few weeks, I could try making grapeseed oil.... but probably not.

Given that there's non-tomato stuff in the sauce, I figured I'd need to pressure can it, so I skipped the vinegar/lemon juice.


Half the batch, with the pressure cooker warming up in the back.   Electric stoves just don't have the punch that gas ones do.   It took around 20 minutes to go from boiling up to 10psi.


I ended up with quarts of sauce, a little watery since I didn't simmer it down endlessly (not wanting to mush the zucchini).

Growing your own food and canning it is a great way to reduce your Trace - you can use your own composted scraps as soil ammendment, the vegetables don't travel via truck anywhere, you're reusing the canning jars, and come winter you have a healthy sauce (all my stuff is organic) with no extra sugar, thickeners, or crap.


No comments:

Post a Comment